Tuesday, November 20, 2012

111* Is it a liquid or is it a solid?

personally, there isn't much change
everyday is difficult
and the heartbreak is neverending
the hole is as big as ever
i miss kenny more each day
especially with thanksgiving getting nearer
it was our last holiday together 
and i cant stop crying
tears, tears, tears...
another siren passing by
screaming as loud as my heart cries

until tomorrow

(--- RANDOM TOPIC ---)
(O) KENNY and CORNSTARCH GOO )
k---Kenny's boxes of cornstarch---

   I'm not sure how we got on the topic of cornstarch,but one day Kenny and I were talking about it and I told him about making cornstarch goo. A combination of cornstarch and water--it makes a very cool substance which can look like a solid, yet move like a liquid. It is something we made pretty often when I taught pre-school. I was surprised he didn't remember it so I showed him how to make it. It wasn't very much, just a small bowl because I only had one box. Kenny was hooked. He played with it for a very long time, running his finger through it. Lifting it and watching it ooze down the backs of his hands. He separated it with a spoon and was amazed at how it came back together. Yes, goo can be fascinating stuff. However, he decided that one box was not enough so the next day we went to the store. It was not long after his 19th birthday so he had birthday money. He bought a few more boxes. He emptied two boxes and added water into a dish tub. He filled it half way and once again spent a very long time with it. I'm quite sure he even stepped in it and his feet got all messy. Yup, I remember now that I had to run and get him a towel because goo was getting all over the floor when he got out of the tub. It was a mess but we were both laughing. I also remember he tried to store it, leaving it in the garage sink. Unfortunately, when he checked on it the next day, it had grown mold. He was fascinated and obsessed with the goo experience, so he decided to buy MORE cornstarch. This time he bought a dozen boxes of cornstarch. He intended to do an experiment filling the bathtub, but he never ended up doing that. He used a few of the boxes making blue or grey goo I think. Then I'm not sure what happened. For a very long time there were cornstarch boxes on the kitchen table, but eventually they all ended up in the back of the hutch cupboard. I happened upon them last night as I was clearing out old cereal boxes, and seeing them brought back the happy memories of Kenny having fun with cornstarch goo. He was just as excited as the young children I used to teach. It was immensely pleasurable watching him enjoy something new I had shared with him. Well, now I have nine boxes of cornstarch--I think I should fill the bathtub and see what happens. I'll let you know if I do...

Element of the day (day 111)
#109) Mt- Meitnerium-] radioactive 
Discovered in 1982 by Peter Ambruster and Gottfried Munzenberrg, Germany.
Highly radioactive metal. It has never been found in nature. Chemistry is believed to be similar to iridium.

No comments:

Post a Comment